The old adage does ring true: a picture says a thousand words. What’s more agonizing that picking a photo for your profile picture?! Too little lighting, too many lens flares (*cough*JJAbrams*cough*), that one stray piece of hair is at the wrong angle… It’s enough to drive you insane!
Here’s a few helpful guidelines to make sure you’re getting the most out of your photos:
1. Do have a visible face – we all have that perfect selfie angle, so show it off! Even though you may be proud of your latest piece of fanart or your Gundam collection, people are looking to make a connection with you, not your things.
2. Do not only have selfies in your photo album. Pictures of just you are fine, but keep it 1:1!
3. Do smile – it brightens up your eyes and makes you approachable. It’s such a simple thing, but it can win over someone in an instant.
4. Do not have a picture of yourself with an animal as your profile picture (unless you’re following in Steve Irwin’s footsteps, then that’s just awesome). Your puppy Lady Snugglesworth may be the cutest thing to grace the earth and an important part of your life, but show her off in your other pictures! The main picture is all about you.
5. Do not use an un-cropped group photo. It’s like playing “Where’s Waldo” when you have no clue what Waldo looks like.
6. Do be your genuine self. Picking the perfect profile picture may be daunting, but you don’t need to go to a professional to find a photo that captures who you are. Asking a friend can help! They see you from a different perspective and can help you show your real self.
Don’t worry if you think your picture has flaws; no one is perfect, and those imperfections show how human you are. So don’t stress about it, and have fun!
Have a question about geek dating? Send Helen an email at askhelen AT soulgeek DOT com. Be sure to mention your age, gender, and whether you’re seeking a fan-guy, fan-gal, or either/both. Due to the volume of emails received, you may not get featured right away.